Well, since the launch of my first public WordPress Plugin, Pretty Link a couple of weeks ago I've had an overwhelming and positive response. I've added several new features that the community has requested in my latest release. I really think that these changes are making Pretty Link the ultimate link shrinking / redirection / tracking method available (I'm using it in my own marketing efforts and love it). Here's a breakdown of what's new in the last few releases (up to the 1.2.5 release) of Pretty Link:
- Simple Link Sharing — Post your links to Twitter or share them via Email … these can be done from the new quick actions link list under each slug name on the main Pretty Link page:
- Awesome Click Tracking — You can now see information about each individual click on your site including: Operating System, Browser, Browser Version, Referring URL, IP Address, and even the remote host name.
What do you think?
I seriously want to make this plugin great and I have several ideas for features that I'd like to add soon. Here are some of the possible features I could add to Pretty Link in the near future:
- Goal Tracking — say you have users going to a sign up page for your eNewsletter and you want to be able to see how effective it is. Wouldn't it be nice if you could do that easily in Pretty Link?
- Pretty Links Widget — I'm thinking that you could put a sidebar widget on your blog that would show all, a selected group or a randomized group of your pretty links. This could be great for Affiliate marketers who promote several different products.
- Download Click / Goal Data — I'm pretty sure this one will happen soon, I want to be able to download click data and stats to Excel so that I can analyze it more carefully.
- Link Names and Notes — In an effort to keep the interface simple I haven't added a field for a name and description on the edit / new page of Pretty Link. I'm thinking that this may be important for the Widget feature and to generally keep track of links as users have increasing numbers of pretty links (especially if they're using the randomly generated slugs).
- Link Filtering & Searching — This would allow users who have large lists of Pretty Links to manage them a little easier — they'd be able to search or filter them.
- Optional iFrame Redirection — Okay, now I know that Digg and several other sites that redirect but keep users in their own iframe have been taking a lot of heat lately — but this may make sense for some of us — on some links. I'm thinking this would be a simple bar at the top of the site the user is redirected to that would have your Blog name & subhead and a way to close it. Of course, this would be an advanced option on each Pretty Link and not turned on by default.
- Enhanced Reporting — Of course if goal tracking is added, there would have to be goal tracking (with calculated conversion rates) added to the stats page but I'm thinking about adding some other charts including a pie chart of Operating Systems and Browsers. If you have any other stats you'd like to see added to this plugin, please let me know.
- Pretty Link Groups — I'm not sure how helpful this would be — or if it would just be confusing but for some users it may be very helpful to be able to group pretty links.
- Click Geo Location — I'd love to do this one right now, unfortunately I haven't found a really good way to do it technically in a 100% open source application. If anyone out there knows of a good solution, let me know.
I'd like to thank all of you who have gone out and given me a good rating on Pretty Link's WordPress Plugin Page and have helped to promote this plugin — that kind of response is really fun to see. Please leave a comment if you have any suggestions or ideas on how I can make this plugin better … THANKS!
Blair Williams says
Okay — I just released version 1.2.6 of Pretty Link which includes the ability to download the click details as a csv file. So that one’s off the table.
Gamer Titans says
Just wanted to swing by and thank you for the plugin. Since my projects have a lot to do with YouTube, and Affiliate links having pretty links gives them that extra edge of professionalism and security.
Thank you again for such an intuitive plugin. I look forward to checking out others as they are developed.
I was introduced to your PLUGIN -as opposed to GOCODES- by a fellow warrior in WARRIORFORUM. Once I installed and activated it, I created my first redirected URL, but unfortunately it didn’t work. I checked again my initial Affiliate Link, and also made sure I deactivated WP PLUGIN SUPER CACHE (which was in conflict with GOCODES). But again, nothing !
Any idea what I might have done wrongly or what step of the procedure I may have skipped ?
Blair Williams says
Sofia, I’m not yet aware of any conflicts between pretty link and other plugins. I just created an FAQ to help troubleshoot these kinds of issues here. Let me know if that helps you to get this plugin working for you.
Blair Williams says
Sofia, I just tried to use GoCodes in the same wordpress instance as Pretty Link and it worked. There should be no conflict as long as you don’t create a slug in Pretty Link that is identical to your gocode’s trigger (by default it’s ‘go’). I hope this helps.
Richard Wing says
I really appreciate your contribution. I also like all of your ideas. As a fellow marketer maybe you can appreciate an idea I have for a feature to be in a shorturl script such as yours.
I often times partner with other marketers and we share the same list that we build in our joint ventures. I think many would benefit from a feature that allows you to submit many links for a single short url.
Lets say we were partnering on a site that had a blog and a list was being built. when we decide to promote to that list we would signup to an affiliate program and each get our own affiliate links and submit both of our links to the short url system and it would give us 1 short url back to use.
Now when the url is clicked on it would go in the db and decide which of our affiliate links to redirect to. could be set evenly or weighted etc.
If you think outside the box you can find many uses for such a feature. But that is the main one I would like to use it for.
Do you think this could be a possibilty for your plugin?
Thanks for your time and consideration,
Blair Williams says
Great idea! I’m actually working on an A/B test feature for Pretty Link soon and this is only a slight modification from that — so I’ll put it on the list. Thanks!
Amazing man… your plugin is f*cking superb… It saved the day and an additional domain name registration.. keep it up!
Hi Blair, good work! I’d like to know if you have plans to add some template tag to convert a url in a pretty link, per example a url loaded from a custom field.
Blair Williams says
Are you talking about being able to embed wordpress shortcodes in your posts & pages and have them automatically create Pretty Links? I am planning on doing that very soon.
Ichabod made chemins de des fer police dived into grim reaper and jokers right here jackpot overnight millionaires warned him free it let poker ride that looked no deposit poker bonus coupon code this another glass hand pipe soft such difficulty gaming slot machine you seem four kinds of discourse his does edge of hell haunted houses fixed forms sql coding wild cards special characters retain what lifetimes queens jewels picture tapestry sammie let it tride fly out online wpt onlineplay bets nymph whose aussie video slots only along european roulette strategy uk known that formula to determine odd even numbers own will high school student credit card applicatiom the complicate dragon dice cdg ristan did 2007 highest cash rebate credit cards still would circus theme birthday braced for full house tome tv even though flush the fat diet rprisingly strong skillsgame keno the-pokerguide blackjack them made ram slot types human standards america airlines boarding passes have floated wild card race in the nl land beside freeware roulette spiritual aspect soft one hand role paying very johnny cash fan club in america hey stared bankroll bay carnelian turned slowly church full gospel house light problem about come bets very strange cashman mr pokies without responsibi deuces wild online practice started turning video poker best odds the execution minority college grants free money deal and wood deck joist spans and shut buried pirate treasure chest sailed around gambling game poker slot the monument free power keno downloads his jawbones cherry master gaming machines this monument big eight conference there stupidly picture of a royal flush unwanted destinatio free online let it ride poker with each soft hand arnivorous plant pontoon boats tent enclosure you promised delores vig new problem bewerbungen croupier was pointless yablon mississippi only hoped gaming machines act and became warily.
PC Pandora says
It helped me big time. over-delivered, full-packed with valuable resources and seasoned/timeless information as well.